My prayers go out to everyone affected by Hurricane Sandy and the “Frankenstorm.” Below, I’ve listed some tips on how to prepare for a storm such as this.
- Stock up on nonperishable food and water for a week or longer. At a minimum of two gallons of water per person per day, that’s fourteen gallons per person.
- Clean your bathtub out and fill it up with water.
- Fill any empty, clean containers with water.
- Have candles, matches, or a lighter; a workable battery-operated radio; a flashlight; and spare batteries on hand.
- Make sure you have a ten days or more of any prescription medicine.
- Print out my emergency supply list, and check off the items. Add ideas of your own.
- Feel free to print any of my posts for your personal use. I like to print them in PDF form. You can find that option after you click your browser’s print tab.In case you need to evacuate:
- Fill your car with gas.
- Listen to your radio or television for local instructions.
- Pack your bags and prepare your pets early. This takes time, and you’re less likely to forget things if you don’t wait until the last minute.
- If you must leave, don’t forget your prescription medicines and anything over-the-counter you’re likely to need.
- Don’t forget to put blankets, snacks, and water in your car.
- I have a post on some small item ideas that won’t take up much room in your bag.
- Try your best to stay calm. It helps you think clearly and avoid accidents.
If anyone has other helpful ideas or comments, please share them below.
(Subscribe to updates below.)